Located in the heart of the Exmoor National Park, Cross Lane House is one of the oldest properties still standing on the National Trust Holnicote Estate.
This historic property can be accurately dated to have originally been built in 1545, although there is evidence to suggest that certain aspects of the building pre-dated this and that a building existed on this site dating back to the 12th century, where a small section still remains. The wall of Cross Lane House is also though to have been erected around this period. The property and its land has played host to many families, farm animals and guests.
Allerford is home to the famous Packhorse Bridge. Built in the 15th Century, this beautiful bridge stands testimony as a very rare example of early building craftsmanship still standing over 500 years after it was built.
The 1500's was a period of much activity in British history. During this period HenryVIII was in reign.
Cross Lane House now stands proud as a three-bedroom country house with a beautiful bar and dining room for the enjoyment of guests and the community. The property also features a collection of barns and a historic cobbled courtyard.